PHOENIX — An off-duty firefighter died Friday after falling on Camelback Mountain.
Phoenix Fire said 50-year-old engineer paramedic Gary Johnstone and two 15-year-old boys were about 200 feet up the Echo Canyon Trail around 7 a.m. Friday when they fell about 30 feet. Johnstone was taken to a hospital where he later died.
One of the boys, Trevor Crouse, was taken to Phoenix Children’s Hospital in extremely critical condition, but was pronounced deceased late Friday.
The other teen was taken to a third area hospital, where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
The hikers were rescued from Camelback Mountain early Friday morning, two of them unconscious when crews found them.
Gary was pronounced dead at the hospital. No details of teen injuries. –@PHXFire
— Martha Maurer (@MaurerMartha) August 8, 2014
“This is a person who loved his job very much,” Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in a press conference.
Johnstone, a 25-year veteran, was a member of the Phoenix Fire Department Honor Guard.
“He loved his job, he loved his community and he lived to serve us,” said Phoenix Fire Chief Kara Kalkbrenner.
The relationship between Johnstone and the teens has not been determined.
Authorities say it appears all three were in the middle of a rappelling or rock climbing maneuver when the accident occurred. Homicide detectives have ruled out foul play.
KTAR’s Jim Cross, Martha Maurer and Paul Ihander and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America