PHOENIX — An off-duty firefighter died Friday after falling on Camelback Mountain.
Phoenix Fire said 50-year-old engineer paramedic Gary Johnstone and two 15-year-old boys were about 200 feet up the Echo Canyon Trail around 7 a.m. Friday when they fell about 30 feet. Johnstone was taken to a hospital where he later died.
One of the boys, Trevor Crouse, was taken to Phoenix Children’s Hospital in extremely critical condition, but was pronounced deceased late Friday.
The other teen was taken to a third area hospital, where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
The hikers were rescued from Camelback Mountain early Friday morning, two of them unconscious when crews found them.
Gary was pronounced dead at the hospital. No details of teen injuries. –@PHXFire
— Martha Maurer (@MaurerMartha) August 8, 2014
“This is a person who loved his job very much,” Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in a press conference.
Johnstone, a 25-year veteran, was a member of the Phoenix Fire Department Honor Guard.
“He loved his job, he loved his community and he lived to serve us,” said Phoenix Fire Chief Kara Kalkbrenner.
The relationship between Johnstone and the teens has not been determined.
Authorities say it appears all three were in the middle of a rappelling or rock climbing maneuver when the accident occurred. Homicide detectives have ruled out foul play.
KTAR’s Jim Cross, Martha Maurer and Paul Ihander and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon