PHOENIX — The first monsoon of 2014 rolled through the Phoenix metro area Thursday, sparking two fires and knocking out power to thousands.
Both fires, one first-alarm and one second-alarm, were ignited near 43rd Avenue and Indian School Road just before 10 p.m. They fires may have been caused by lightning or a downed power line.
Phoenix Police Officer James Holmes said burned materials discovered Friday may be hazardous. As a result, the area between 40th and 39th avenues and Indian School and Clarendon was closed as a precaution.
Power was out for about 25,000 customers between Salt River Project and Arizona Public Service.
“From Queen Creek where they (the storms) kind of started all the way up through mesa, South Phoenix and up through West Phoenix,” said Jeff Lane with SRP.
Lane said both companies had crews on standby to get power back after the storm. As of Friday morning, about 300 people were still without power but it was expected to be repaired by noon.
The National Weather Service said more blowing dust and rain is possible Friday.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper and Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food