PHOENIX — The first monsoon of 2014 rolled through the Phoenix metro area Thursday, sparking two fires and knocking out power to thousands.
Both fires, one first-alarm and one second-alarm, were ignited near 43rd Avenue and Indian School Road just before 10 p.m. They fires may have been caused by lightning or a downed power line.
Phoenix Police Officer James Holmes said burned materials discovered Friday may be hazardous. As a result, the area between 40th and 39th avenues and Indian School and Clarendon was closed as a precaution.
Power was out for about 25,000 customers between Salt River Project and Arizona Public Service.
“From Queen Creek where they (the storms) kind of started all the way up through mesa, South Phoenix and up through West Phoenix,” said Jeff Lane with SRP.
Lane said both companies had crews on standby to get power back after the storm. As of Friday morning, about 300 people were still without power but it was expected to be repaired by noon.
The National Weather Service said more blowing dust and rain is possible Friday.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper and Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.