PHOENIX – Authorities say a teenager shot and wounded a suspect in a home invasion in Laveen, west of Phoenix.
Phoenix police said the 14-year-old boy heard someone trying to break into his home late Friday afternoon, instead of answering the door the teen went upstairs with his siblings who are 12, 10 and 8 years of age. The boy armed himself with a handgun.
“As he’s coming down the steps, a male suspect kicked in the door, entered the home with a handgun in his hand and pointed it toward the young man. At that point the young man fired his weapon at the suspect and the suspect went down,” said Phoenix police officer James Holmes.
The suspect has been taken to a hospital and police said he’s in critical condition.
The name of the suspect and the teen haven’t been released yet.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates