PHOENIX — A panel of local business leaders and lawmakers spent part of Tuesday morning at Arizona State University discussing the economic benefits of immigration reform.
As Congress went on recess at the end of last week without passing an immigration bill, President of AT&T Arizona Jerry Fuentes said it is all the more reason for business leaders to ramp up calls for reform.
“This is our opportunity to start getting louder about the issue and stay loud,” he said.
The issue of immigration reform is important to businesses Fuentes said, and having a broken system is costing the state and country.
“It means jobs, it means investments, it really means growing our businesses.”
Without taking a partisan stance on what the best reform would be, Fuentes did say it would likely include a combination of securing the border and creating pathways to citizenship.
Fuentes added immigration affects both big and small business and it is time to see reform.
“We need a solution, this is too important for the business community to sit back and do nothing,” he said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns