PHOENIX — A panel of local business leaders and lawmakers spent part of Tuesday morning at Arizona State University discussing the economic benefits of immigration reform.
As Congress went on recess at the end of last week without passing an immigration bill, President of AT&T Arizona Jerry Fuentes said it is all the more reason for business leaders to ramp up calls for reform.
“This is our opportunity to start getting louder about the issue and stay loud,” he said.
The issue of immigration reform is important to businesses Fuentes said, and having a broken system is costing the state and country.
“It means jobs, it means investments, it really means growing our businesses.”
Without taking a partisan stance on what the best reform would be, Fuentes did say it would likely include a combination of securing the border and creating pathways to citizenship.
Fuentes added immigration affects both big and small business and it is time to see reform.
“We need a solution, this is too important for the business community to sit back and do nothing,” he said.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain