SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — A Scottsdale bakery is hoping to meet the needs of customers who used to go a renowned downtown Phoenix business.
Karsh’s Bakery closed down its 7th Street location last month after nearly 50 years in business.
Customer Zach Epstein was there on the last day, and said he was pretty upset.
“I don’t know if there’s another good Kosher bakery around. I’ll have to look,” Epstein said.
But he still may be able to get a taste of Karsh’s at another bakery. That’s because Jeff Benkel, who owns the Arizona Bread Company in Scottsdale, was also a Karsh’s fan.
“Karsh’s was well known. We ate there a lot and always loved the rye bread,” Benkel said.
And he’s bringing that bread to his business, located at 7000 E. Shea Blvd. He started out by hiring Karsh’s former head baker, Seraphin Nieves.
“I am always on the lookout for talent, and realized that their head baker has been doing this for 30 years,” said Benkel.
Arizona Bread Company does not own the rights to Karsh’s name, so Benkel says he’ll “probably” call the bread a Jewish or white rye. It’ll be baked in a different kind of oven and will have “a few more seeds,” but Benkel said that it’s basically the same bread.
“It’s the original formula. We’re doing the preferment (and) we’re doing the sour just the way they did. We’re making it available at the farmers markets that we do here in the store,” said Benkel. “For the people who always loved the bread, we want to make sure that it’s continued to be made available.”
Arizona Bread Company may also incorporate Karsh’s recipe into its challah.
“We make a really good challah now,” Benkel said. “I would like to get the extra flavor that’s ours, but more of the volume and the texture of theirs. We’re going to be looking to kind of pull the best attributes of both.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them