PHOENIX — A benefit cookout will be held this week to help 34-year-old Phoenix Police Officer Scott Sefranka and 63-year-old Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Posse Member Phillip Grigg.
Both men were shot while struggling with robbery suspects in Phoenix last week.
The cookout — hosted by Police Chief Daniel Garcia, Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Phoenix Law Enforcement President Joe Clure — will raise money for the families of both men. Donations will be accepted at the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association Garage Grill on Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
At last check, Sefranka and Grigg remained in critical condition at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center. Over the weekend, Grigg’s wife, Elizabeth, told reporters he had undergone four surgeries.
On Dec. 31, Sefranka saw a vehicle matching the description involved in a robbery. While following the car, it crashed into a pickup truck driven by Grigg. Sefranka struggled with the suspect who reportedly shot him. Grigg tried to help and was also shot.
Police have arrested three men and are looking for one more suspect.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns