PHOENIX — A benefit cookout will be held this week to help 34-year-old Phoenix Police Officer Scott Sefranka and 63-year-old Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Posse Member Phillip Grigg.
Both men were shot while struggling with robbery suspects in Phoenix last week.
The cookout — hosted by Police Chief Daniel Garcia, Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Phoenix Law Enforcement President Joe Clure — will raise money for the families of both men. Donations will be accepted at the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association Garage Grill on Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
At last check, Sefranka and Grigg remained in critical condition at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center. Over the weekend, Grigg’s wife, Elizabeth, told reporters he had undergone four surgeries.
On Dec. 31, Sefranka saw a vehicle matching the description involved in a robbery. While following the car, it crashed into a pickup truck driven by Grigg. Sefranka struggled with the suspect who reportedly shot him. Grigg tried to help and was also shot.
Police have arrested three men and are looking for one more suspect.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes