PHOENIX — About 40 bus routes in the southeast Valley could be affected Monday if a bus driver strike is not averted over the weekend.
“We understand that this strike is an inconvenience for a lot of passengers so we definitely do not want to see a strike occur or any kind of a work stoppage,” said Susan Tierney with Valley Metro.
Tierney said about 57,000 passengers could be affected should a strike or work stoppage take place, but Valley Metro is “hopeful” that it can be avoided.
“Valley Metro remains very hopeful that there will be an agreement on the labor negotiations that are currently happening between First Transit and the bus operator union,” she said.
Tierney said those who may be affected should look into alternative transportation as a backup plan.
“We are asking our passengers to double-check and make sure that their bus route might be impacted,” she said. “If it is impacted, they need to start to begin plan or prepare alternative travel options.”
As far as those other options go, Tierney said affected passengers should talk to their employers, consult with friends, right light rail or go to ValleyMetro.org to sign up for a car pool.
The possibly affected routes run through Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, Scottsdale and Phoenix.
A bus strike in 2012 left thousands of Phoenix metro area passengers stranded for six days.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths