PHOENIX — About 40 bus routes in the southeast Valley could be affected Monday if a bus driver strike is not averted over the weekend.
“We understand that this strike is an inconvenience for a lot of passengers so we definitely do not want to see a strike occur or any kind of a work stoppage,” said Susan Tierney with Valley Metro.
Tierney said about 57,000 passengers could be affected should a strike or work stoppage take place, but Valley Metro is “hopeful” that it can be avoided.
“Valley Metro remains very hopeful that there will be an agreement on the labor negotiations that are currently happening between First Transit and the bus operator union,” she said.
Tierney said those who may be affected should look into alternative transportation as a backup plan.
“We are asking our passengers to double-check and make sure that their bus route might be impacted,” she said. “If it is impacted, they need to start to begin plan or prepare alternative travel options.”
As far as those other options go, Tierney said affected passengers should talk to their employers, consult with friends, right light rail or go to ValleyMetro.org to sign up for a car pool.
The possibly affected routes run through Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, Scottsdale and Phoenix.
A bus strike in 2012 left thousands of Phoenix metro area passengers stranded for six days.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development