MESA, Ariz. — For about 50 years, she welcomed weary travelers, enticing them with a neon blue bathing suit.
The sign, known as the Diving Lady, had a job to do.
“To promote the fact that the Starlight Motel had a swimming pool, which was a luxury in that era,” said Vic Linoff with the Mesa Preservation Foundation.
She represented the eastern entrance to the Valley for half a century.
Built in 1960 by legendary neon sign-maker Paul Millet, the Diving Lady stood 80 feet tall and consisted of three animated figures that moved in sequence diving into blue water.
Unfortunately, Mother Nature got the best of the Diving Lady in October 2010 during a severe storm, when the sign was hit with a microburst. There was significant damage. Not just from the fall, but from 50 years of exposure to the elements.
After more than two years and significant monetary donations — about $120,000 — from the public, the Diving Lady will once again light up the Starlight Motel at 2710 E. Main where it stood for five decades.
“This is a big boost in heritage tourism, the sign is known throughout the nation and it brings people in. Every day, people will stop to photograph that sign,” said Linoff.
Mesa Mayor Scott Smith will flip the switch to the Diving Lady during a public event at the Starlight Motel on Tuesday evening. Parking for the free event, which will feature a barbeque, is at the Kmart at Lindsay and Main.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America