MESA, Ariz. — For about 50 years, she welcomed weary travelers, enticing them with a neon blue bathing suit.
The sign, known as the Diving Lady, had a job to do.
“To promote the fact that the Starlight Motel had a swimming pool, which was a luxury in that era,” said Vic Linoff with the Mesa Preservation Foundation.
She represented the eastern entrance to the Valley for half a century.
Built in 1960 by legendary neon sign-maker Paul Millet, the Diving Lady stood 80 feet tall and consisted of three animated figures that moved in sequence diving into blue water.
Unfortunately, Mother Nature got the best of the Diving Lady in October 2010 during a severe storm, when the sign was hit with a microburst. There was significant damage. Not just from the fall, but from 50 years of exposure to the elements.
After more than two years and significant monetary donations — about $120,000 — from the public, the Diving Lady will once again light up the Starlight Motel at 2710 E. Main where it stood for five decades.
“This is a big boost in heritage tourism, the sign is known throughout the nation and it brings people in. Every day, people will stop to photograph that sign,” said Linoff.
Mesa Mayor Scott Smith will flip the switch to the Diving Lady during a public event at the Starlight Motel on Tuesday evening. Parking for the free event, which will feature a barbeque, is at the Kmart at Lindsay and Main.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets