PHOENIX — If you’re going to ring in the New Year, don’t do it with gunfire.
Phoenix police will be out Monday night in hopes of curbing random gunfire or catching those who shoot wildly into the night just for fun.
“There’s a general rule of firearm safety, don’t ever point your gun at anything you don’t intend to destroy,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Tommy Thompson. “The problem is, when you shoot in a celebratory fashion, you are shooting and it’s unknown where that bullet is going to go.”
Random gunfire is not only dangerous, but illegal. Shannon’s Law was enacted after the 1999 death of 14-year-old Shannon Smith, who was on the phone standing outside her central Phoenix home when a stray bullet struck the teen and killed her.
Thompson said people who use a gun to celebrate need to think about their actions.
“[They]celebrate by shooting into the air, shoot into the ground, just shoot to hear the ‘bang, bang, bang’ of the gun on New Year’s Eve … ‘I’ve just committed a Class 6 felony and could go to prison for up to a year,’ ” said Thompson.
They could also be fined at least $2,500.
Police report there has been a steady decline in arrests on New Year’s Eve.
“I think there are good people in our community who just don’t understand that it’s dangerous and illegal to do this,” said Thompson.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy