PHOENIX — Arizona’s veterans are being honored on the University of Phoenix campus ahead of Memorial Day with a special flag display.
Ten thousand flags, spelling out “Salute to Sacrifice,” were placed Tuesday morning by 100 volunteers. The flags will be there until Friday.
“It’s honoring those that made the ultimate sacrifice,” Ret. Army Maj. John Ramirez said. “It represents what Memorial Day is really all about.
“It’s not about hot dogs, and it’s not about the summer, and it’s not about time to go on vacation. It’s about recognizing those who gave up their lives in defense of their country – and because of them.”
After Friday, the flags will be given out to veterans in the Valley.
- Trump signs bill expanding college assistance for veterans
- University of Phoenix Stadium on list to host World Cup games
- Phoenix whistleblower hopes new DC job helps end culture of fear in VA
- Veterans can get access to benefits through webcam sessions
- Main Street Minute: 3 job fairs scheduled across metro Phoenix