Brush fire closes both directions of Interstate 17 north of Phoenix
PHOENIX — A brush fire closed both directions of Interstate 17 north of Phoenix on Monday afternoon for about two hours, authorities said.
The fire, located between Bumble Bee and Black Canyon City, first shut down northbound I-17 at about 2:45 p.m. before the southbound lanes were closed around 3 p.m.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said both sides of the highway were reopened at about 5 p.m.
Motorists were advised to use alternate routes such as U.S. 60 and State Route 87 to avoid the closure.
Wildfires have burned more than 900,000 acres in Arizona this year.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Phoenix launches pilot program for home hazardous waste pickup
- Suspect injured, no officers harmed in police shooting in Phoenix
- Amber Alert canceled for 4 children missing from city south of Phoenix
- Here’s a look back at the Phoenix weather records set in 2020
- Phoenix mother, unborn child killed at home in 2012