PHOENIX — New ownership will keep the good times rolling at a popular downtown Tempe piano bar that was set to close in a couple weeks.
The Big Bang announced it was closing in a Saturday Facebook post but did not disclose why.
“We will be renaming it (Rock City),” said new co-owner Andrew Walter, adding the spelling would be stylized to Rck City.
Walter said Rck Cty will keep the “laid-back” feel of the Big Bang alive, but with some improvements.
“We are going to have a kitchen,” he said. “We will have pizza and subs and breadsticks and things like that. It’s basically going to be called a nightclub and pizzeria.”
Calling the relaunch a “fresh face” on the current bar, Walter said it’s going to offer an array of musical entertainment.
“We are going to do live music, full band,” he said. “Karaoke is another thing we’re going to do.”
And yes, dueling pianos are part of the plan.
“Right now, I know we’re going to have the dueling pianos on Tuesday nights,” he said.
There’s no timetable for the opening.
The Big Bang, part of a small chain based in Tennessee, opened its doors in 2003. The chain’s original location, St. Louis, closed last year. Other Big Bangs are located in Nashville and Columbus, Ohio. Another location is scheduled to open in Cleveland in 2015, according to the bar’s website.
KTAR’s Corbin Carson contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier