PHOENIX — New ownership will keep the good times rolling at a popular downtown Tempe piano bar that was set to close in a couple weeks.
The Big Bang announced it was closing in a Saturday Facebook post but did not disclose why.
“We will be renaming it (Rock City),” said new co-owner Andrew Walter, adding the spelling would be stylized to Rck City.
Walter said Rck Cty will keep the “laid-back” feel of the Big Bang alive, but with some improvements.
“We are going to have a kitchen,” he said. “We will have pizza and subs and breadsticks and things like that. It’s basically going to be called a nightclub and pizzeria.”
Calling the relaunch a “fresh face” on the current bar, Walter said it’s going to offer an array of musical entertainment.
“We are going to do live music, full band,” he said. “Karaoke is another thing we’re going to do.”
And yes, dueling pianos are part of the plan.
“Right now, I know we’re going to have the dueling pianos on Tuesday nights,” he said.
There’s no timetable for the opening.
The Big Bang, part of a small chain based in Tennessee, opened its doors in 2003. The chain’s original location, St. Louis, closed last year. Other Big Bangs are located in Nashville and Columbus, Ohio. Another location is scheduled to open in Cleveland in 2015, according to the bar’s website.
KTAR’s Corbin Carson contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night