PHOENIX — Tragedy struck a Glendale family Friday night when a deadly fire ravaged their home.
Glendale and Phoenix firefighters arrived at the scene of the blaze around 9 p.m. near 61st Avenue and Bethany Home Road.
“Two occupants were located inside the residence after the fire was put out, and they did not survive,” said Glendale Detective Ted Yoder.
Fire crews entered the single-story home and found a teenage boy in a wheelchair in the living room. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
They also found his mother at the back of the house, and she later died at a hospital.
Yoder said the victims were identified as 49-year-old Helen Russell and 16-year-old Elijah Martin.
There were no other injuries to civilians or firefighters.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Glendale police are also investigating.
The Associate Press contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick