PHOENIX — Tragedy struck a Glendale family Friday night when a deadly fire ravaged their home.
Glendale and Phoenix firefighters arrived at the scene of the blaze around 9 p.m. near 61st Avenue and Bethany Home Road.
“Two occupants were located inside the residence after the fire was put out, and they did not survive,” said Glendale Detective Ted Yoder.
Fire crews entered the single-story home and found a teenage boy in a wheelchair in the living room. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
They also found his mother at the back of the house, and she later died at a hospital.
Yoder said the victims were identified as 49-year-old Helen Russell and 16-year-old Elijah Martin.
There were no other injuries to civilians or firefighters.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Glendale police are also investigating.
The Associate Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night