PHOENIX — Tragedy struck a Glendale family Friday night when a deadly fire ravaged their home.
Glendale and Phoenix firefighters arrived at the scene of the blaze around 9 p.m. near 61st Avenue and Bethany Home Road.
“Two occupants were located inside the residence after the fire was put out, and they did not survive,” said Glendale Detective Ted Yoder.
Fire crews entered the single-story home and found a teenage boy in a wheelchair in the living room. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
They also found his mother at the back of the house, and she later died at a hospital.
Yoder said the victims were identified as 49-year-old Helen Russell and 16-year-old Elijah Martin.
There were no other injuries to civilians or firefighters.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Glendale police are also investigating.
The Associate Press contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments