PHOENIX — Phoenix Police will be hosting a series of meetings during the month of June to receive public input on reorganizations within the department.
“[The meetings are being held] in order to have on-going dialogue and communication with community leaders and the public regarding the proposed patrol division reorganization,” said Sgt. Steve Martos. “This reorganzation is to maintain officer safety and to able to respond to calls for service as quickly as possible.”
An internal memo said 500 vacancies within the department make it difficult to “maintain acceptable precinct and squad-based staffing levels.” More than 60 more officers are expected to leave the department by 2015.
Union leaders have suggested the current proposed reorganization, which includes expanding precinct boundaries, reducing the number of precincts and patrol squads is not a fix, but just delays the inevitable. The only solution, according to two police unions, is to hire more officers.
The public is encouraged to attend the community meetings to ask questions and make suggestions on the patrol division reorganization that is scheduled to take effect on Oct. 20.
The first meeting is on Thursday evening at 6 p.m. at the Adam Diaz Senior Center located at 4115 W. Thomas Rd. in Phoenix.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier