PHOENIX — Phoenix Police will be hosting a series of meetings during the month of June to receive public input on reorganizations within the department.
“[The meetings are being held] in order to have on-going dialogue and communication with community leaders and the public regarding the proposed patrol division reorganization,” said Sgt. Steve Martos. “This reorganzation is to maintain officer safety and to able to respond to calls for service as quickly as possible.”
An internal memo said 500 vacancies within the department make it difficult to “maintain acceptable precinct and squad-based staffing levels.” More than 60 more officers are expected to leave the department by 2015.
Union leaders have suggested the current proposed reorganization, which includes expanding precinct boundaries, reducing the number of precincts and patrol squads is not a fix, but just delays the inevitable. The only solution, according to two police unions, is to hire more officers.
The public is encouraged to attend the community meetings to ask questions and make suggestions on the patrol division reorganization that is scheduled to take effect on Oct. 20.
The first meeting is on Thursday evening at 6 p.m. at the Adam Diaz Senior Center located at 4115 W. Thomas Rd. in Phoenix.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development