PHOENIX — As many mourn the death of Salt River Police Officer Jair Cabrera, those who knew him at Salt River Fields are also remembering his service.
“Professional, pleasant … always had a smile on his face,” said David Ellis, director of security at Salt River Fields in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Cabrera spent time working off duty at various events and Spring Training games at Salt River Fields for a couple of years, according to Ellis.
Cabrera and fellow off-duty volunteers would help direct traffic, help guests get in and out of the park and are around to handle any emergencies that might occur, Ellis said.
“He, along with all the other officers that work out here in the ballpark, are here to protect our fans by being our first responders,” he said.
Dave Dunne, general manager of Salt River Fields, said Cabrera was a common fixture around the ballpark.
“Personally, I’m going to miss seeing him here at the ball park,” Dunne said. “I just don’t how quickly any of us are going to get over this.”
As an active member of the community, Cabrera’s passing has been difficult, Dunne said.
“He was someone that worked a lot of the events here. He loved being here,” said Dunne. “I’d see him on the concourse during the game. (He was) always smiling (and) always helpful.”
Cabrera was killed early Saturday morning when he was shot during a traffic stop at a Chevron gas station near Pima and Chaparral roads in Scottsdale.
On Tuesday evening, the Salt River Police Department held a candlelight vigil at the Chevron location. A public visitation for Cabrera will be held Thursday at the West Rest Haven Mortuary from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. A memorial service for the seven-year police veteran is also planned for Friday at Christ’s Church of the Valley in Peoria at 10 a.m.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick