PHOENIX — Tesla Motors is continuing to reduce the “range anxiety” of its customers with a new supercharging station in Arizona.
The company announced last week it has opened a charging station on West Pima Street in Gila Bend that gives Tesla Model S drivers a major connection into California.
According to the company, the station along Interstate 8 can be coupled with the already available Yuma, Ariz. station, to allow drivers a connection from either Phoenix or Tucson to San Diego.
The purpose of the superchargers is for distance travel allowing drivers roughly three hours of driving time, then about 20 to 30 minute of charging time, according to Tesla’s website.
The stations are designed to give drivers about a half charge during those 20 minute breaks.
Having a network of charging stations can greatly reduce consumer concerns about running out of battery while attempting long-distance travel, much like gas stations for traditional cars. So far, Tesla Motors has 94 charging stations in North America designed only for Tesla vehicles.
The company expects to continue to introduce more stations as part of a company plan to cover 98 percent of the U.S. population by 2015.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night