PHOENIX — Tesla Motors is continuing to reduce the “range anxiety” of its customers with a new supercharging station in Arizona.
The company announced last week it has opened a charging station on West Pima Street in Gila Bend that gives Tesla Model S drivers a major connection into California.
According to the company, the station along Interstate 8 can be coupled with the already available Yuma, Ariz. station, to allow drivers a connection from either Phoenix or Tucson to San Diego.
The purpose of the superchargers is for distance travel allowing drivers roughly three hours of driving time, then about 20 to 30 minute of charging time, according to Tesla’s website.
The stations are designed to give drivers about a half charge during those 20 minute breaks.
Having a network of charging stations can greatly reduce consumer concerns about running out of battery while attempting long-distance travel, much like gas stations for traditional cars. So far, Tesla Motors has 94 charging stations in North America designed only for Tesla vehicles.
The company expects to continue to introduce more stations as part of a company plan to cover 98 percent of the U.S. population by 2015.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever