PHOENIX — A Valley woman is on a mission to make Arizona lakes safer one life jacket at a time.
“In 2008, I lost my 21-year-old nephew, Ryan Thomas, in a drowning accident at Saguro lake,” said Shannon Liebrock. “There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about him and think about the fact that a life jacket would have saved his life.”
The Arizona State University student was with five friends the day of the accident. They were relatively close to shore. He wanted to cool off and jumped into the lake. Despite that he had been swimming since infancy, Ryan never resurfaced.
It was after the accident that Liebrock embarked on a journey to keep his memory alive. She helped establish the Ryan Thomas Foundation.
“This program has become his legacy,” she said. “We want to continue to his legacy of generosity and kindness. He really was a great kid and he’s terribly missed.”
The organization’s mission is to raise drowning awareness. Liebrock has also been working with Arizona Game and Fish to install life jacket kiosks at every state lake so any lake-goer will have the opportunity to borrow a life jacket for the day.
Initially, two kiosks will be installed at Lake Pleasant by July 4 then the goal is to expand the program.
“I think Ryan would love what we are doing,” said Liebrock.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns