PHOENIX — A Valley woman is on a mission to make Arizona lakes safer one life jacket at a time.
“In 2008, I lost my 21-year-old nephew, Ryan Thomas, in a drowning accident at Saguro lake,” said Shannon Liebrock. “There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about him and think about the fact that a life jacket would have saved his life.”
The Arizona State University student was with five friends the day of the accident. They were relatively close to shore. He wanted to cool off and jumped into the lake. Despite that he had been swimming since infancy, Ryan never resurfaced.
It was after the accident that Liebrock embarked on a journey to keep his memory alive. She helped establish the Ryan Thomas Foundation.
“This program has become his legacy,” she said. “We want to continue to his legacy of generosity and kindness. He really was a great kid and he’s terribly missed.”
The organization’s mission is to raise drowning awareness. Liebrock has also been working with Arizona Game and Fish to install life jacket kiosks at every state lake so any lake-goer will have the opportunity to borrow a life jacket for the day.
Initially, two kiosks will be installed at Lake Pleasant by July 4 then the goal is to expand the program.
“I think Ryan would love what we are doing,” said Liebrock.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night