PHOENIX — Veterans in need can get some much-needed help at Coconino County’s second Arizona StandDown event, which takes place Friday and Saturday.
Nathan Gonzalez, a Coconino County public information officer, said homeless and at-risk veterans can get their hands on a lot of needed supplies as well as help with many services.
“They’re able to get various services and surplus goods, such as clothing, and also get help with notary services, pet services, legal advice,” said Gonzales. “They can have AA meetings … dental exams, haircuts (and) showers.”
Gonzalez said the supplies and services go a long way toward helping veterans and showing them that there is support out there.
“These are the people that rose when the country came to call on them,” he said. “We’re talking about homeless veterans and at-risk ones as well who gave so much for us. And this just our way to try to make their lives a little easier.”
The Coconino County event was coordinated by District 4 County Supervisor Mandy Metzger with help from organizations such as the County Courts, Hopi Tribe, Navajo Nation, Salvation Army and U.S. Veterans Association.
The event runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday at the Flagstaff Armory located at 320 N. Thorpe Road, and from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the American Legion Post Three at 204 W. Birch Ave. in Flagstaff.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon