PHOENIX — Veterans in need can get some much-needed help at Coconino County’s second Arizona StandDown event, which takes place Friday and Saturday.
Nathan Gonzalez, a Coconino County public information officer, said homeless and at-risk veterans can get their hands on a lot of needed supplies as well as help with many services.
“They’re able to get various services and surplus goods, such as clothing, and also get help with notary services, pet services, legal advice,” said Gonzales. “They can have AA meetings … dental exams, haircuts (and) showers.”
Gonzalez said the supplies and services go a long way toward helping veterans and showing them that there is support out there.
“These are the people that rose when the country came to call on them,” he said. “We’re talking about homeless veterans and at-risk ones as well who gave so much for us. And this just our way to try to make their lives a little easier.”
The Coconino County event was coordinated by District 4 County Supervisor Mandy Metzger with help from organizations such as the County Courts, Hopi Tribe, Navajo Nation, Salvation Army and U.S. Veterans Association.
The event runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday at the Flagstaff Armory located at 320 N. Thorpe Road, and from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the American Legion Post Three at 204 W. Birch Ave. in Flagstaff.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.