PHOENIX — Thursday was “Graduation Day” at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
More than 20 heart patients under seven months old all got diplomas declaring that it is now safe for them to go home.
PCH Chief Cardiologist Dr. Stephen Pophall said the kids were among the sickest of the sick.
“Everyone’s heart is supposed to have four chambers and four valves,” he said. “Many of those children have only two chambers and only two valves, or there’s holes that are everywhere inside the heart, and the tubes that go in and out of the heart aren’t in the right spot.”
The kids health conditions have improved because they each underwent two surgeries as part of PCH’s Complex Congenital Heart Infant Evaluation and Followup, or CHIEF program.
“The kids who were really the sickest of sick heart babies now get to go home, and they go home with a diploma and a graduation certificate,” Pophall said.
One of those babies is six-month-old Lorenzo Olearus. His dad, Nicky, said he’s relieved and looking forward to Lorenzo’s future.
“He’s going to make it. He’s going to have a big inspirational story to tell, thanks to the medical team here at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
What they do for babies like Lorenzo is amazing, and they are truly heroes, in my mind.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night