PHOENIX — Thursday was “Graduation Day” at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
More than 20 heart patients under seven months old all got diplomas declaring that it is now safe for them to go home.
PCH Chief Cardiologist Dr. Stephen Pophall said the kids were among the sickest of the sick.
“Everyone’s heart is supposed to have four chambers and four valves,” he said. “Many of those children have only two chambers and only two valves, or there’s holes that are everywhere inside the heart, and the tubes that go in and out of the heart aren’t in the right spot.”
The kids health conditions have improved because they each underwent two surgeries as part of PCH’s Complex Congenital Heart Infant Evaluation and Followup, or CHIEF program.
“The kids who were really the sickest of sick heart babies now get to go home, and they go home with a diploma and a graduation certificate,” Pophall said.
One of those babies is six-month-old Lorenzo Olearus. His dad, Nicky, said he’s relieved and looking forward to Lorenzo’s future.
“He’s going to make it. He’s going to have a big inspirational story to tell, thanks to the medical team here at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
What they do for babies like Lorenzo is amazing, and they are truly heroes, in my mind.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy