PHOENIX — Thursday was “Graduation Day” at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
More than 20 heart patients under seven months old all got diplomas declaring that it is now safe for them to go home.
PCH Chief Cardiologist Dr. Stephen Pophall said the kids were among the sickest of the sick.
“Everyone’s heart is supposed to have four chambers and four valves,” he said. “Many of those children have only two chambers and only two valves, or there’s holes that are everywhere inside the heart, and the tubes that go in and out of the heart aren’t in the right spot.”
The kids health conditions have improved because they each underwent two surgeries as part of PCH’s Complex Congenital Heart Infant Evaluation and Followup, or CHIEF program.
“The kids who were really the sickest of sick heart babies now get to go home, and they go home with a diploma and a graduation certificate,” Pophall said.
One of those babies is six-month-old Lorenzo Olearus. His dad, Nicky, said he’s relieved and looking forward to Lorenzo’s future.
“He’s going to make it. He’s going to have a big inspirational story to tell, thanks to the medical team here at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
What they do for babies like Lorenzo is amazing, and they are truly heroes, in my mind.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas