PHOENIX — Getting a blood test can now mean heading to the drug store instead of the doctor’s office.
When you come to the Walgreens at 64th Street and Greenway Road in north Phoenix, you can now get a test that’s less invasive and more affordable.
“Instead of doing a phlebotomy for vials and vials of blood, we make it possible to do a test from a tiny droplet from a finger,” said Elizabeth Holmes, the founder and president of a company called Theranos.
The company is offering its services in three Walgreens’ locations around the country, with two of them right here in the Valley. It’s also offered at a store near Central Road and Thomas Avenue. A third store is in Palo Alto, Calif.
Holmes said her company’s tests can cost up to five times less than having your blood drawn at the doctor, with faster results.
“The system that we’ve set up allows for results to be generated very quickly, so the physician can get data back much faster than previously possible,” Holmes said.
Holmes also noted that the service is intended to be convenient.
“We’re making it possible for people to begin to get access to these services late at night, on a weekend, or early in the morning, so that they don’t have to leave work,” said Holmes.
The plan is to eventually make the service available to every Walgreens throughout the nation.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy