PHOENIX — Getting a blood test can now mean heading to the drug store instead of the doctor’s office.
When you come to the Walgreens at 64th Street and Greenway Road in north Phoenix, you can now get a test that’s less invasive and more affordable.
“Instead of doing a phlebotomy for vials and vials of blood, we make it possible to do a test from a tiny droplet from a finger,” said Elizabeth Holmes, the founder and president of a company called Theranos.
The company is offering its services in three Walgreens’ locations around the country, with two of them right here in the Valley. It’s also offered at a store near Central Road and Thomas Avenue. A third store is in Palo Alto, Calif.
Holmes said her company’s tests can cost up to five times less than having your blood drawn at the doctor, with faster results.
“The system that we’ve set up allows for results to be generated very quickly, so the physician can get data back much faster than previously possible,” Holmes said.
Holmes also noted that the service is intended to be convenient.
“We’re making it possible for people to begin to get access to these services late at night, on a weekend, or early in the morning, so that they don’t have to leave work,” said Holmes.
The plan is to eventually make the service available to every Walgreens throughout the nation.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier