Each year, the Governor’s Office declares the second week of November Valley Fever Awareness Week, and health experts are reminding residents to be aware of their health, especially in breezy weather.
Valley fever is caused by fungus that lives in the soil and when disturbed, it can get transmitted into the human body.
While falling deathly ill is common, some who become infected remain asymptomatic.
“Usually, it’s a lung infection, but it can spread to other parts of the body, said Jessica Rigler of Arizona Department of Health Services. “If it goes into the brain, it can cause death.”
About 10,000 Arizonans are stricken with valley fever every year. Typical symptoms are flu-like, however, the most significant difference is the length of time a person is sick. Influenza will run its course in a few days, while valley fever can linger for months.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food