PHOENIX — Attorneys for convicted murder Jodi Arias have requested a change of venue, according to court documents.
In the request, her attorneys cite the massive amount of media coverage as the reason she would not be able to get a fair trial in Maricopa County. The defense claimed that 70 percent of all Arizona media coverage of the trial took place in Maricopa County.
Over 2,700 television and newspaper stories in Maricopa County alone were broadcast between the opening statements and the mistrial decision, court documents said.
Arias’ defense also has three other motions pending: One would ban all cameras in the courtroom, another would force jurors to give the court their Twitter information to make sure they are not discussing the case on the social media site and the last would give the defense unlimited time to question potential jurors before they are selected.
Arias is scheduled to return to court next month, when a judge is expected to set a retrial date for the sentencing phase of her trial. A jury was unable to reach a decision of life in prison or death in May.
Arias was found guilty in May of murdering her former boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in a trial that caught the attention of the nation and has led to several books and a Lifetime movie.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development