PHOENIX — Attorneys for convicted murder Jodi Arias have requested a change of venue, according to court documents.
In the request, her attorneys cite the massive amount of media coverage as the reason she would not be able to get a fair trial in Maricopa County. The defense claimed that 70 percent of all Arizona media coverage of the trial took place in Maricopa County.
Over 2,700 television and newspaper stories in Maricopa County alone were broadcast between the opening statements and the mistrial decision, court documents said.
Arias’ defense also has three other motions pending: One would ban all cameras in the courtroom, another would force jurors to give the court their Twitter information to make sure they are not discussing the case on the social media site and the last would give the defense unlimited time to question potential jurors before they are selected.
Arias is scheduled to return to court next month, when a judge is expected to set a retrial date for the sentencing phase of her trial. A jury was unable to reach a decision of life in prison or death in May.
Arias was found guilty in May of murdering her former boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in a trial that caught the attention of the nation and has led to several books and a Lifetime movie.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night