PHOENIX — Attorneys for convicted murder Jodi Arias have requested a change of venue, according to court documents.
In the request, her attorneys cite the massive amount of media coverage as the reason she would not be able to get a fair trial in Maricopa County. The defense claimed that 70 percent of all Arizona media coverage of the trial took place in Maricopa County.
Over 2,700 television and newspaper stories in Maricopa County alone were broadcast between the opening statements and the mistrial decision, court documents said.
Arias’ defense also has three other motions pending: One would ban all cameras in the courtroom, another would force jurors to give the court their Twitter information to make sure they are not discussing the case on the social media site and the last would give the defense unlimited time to question potential jurors before they are selected.
Arias is scheduled to return to court next month, when a judge is expected to set a retrial date for the sentencing phase of her trial. A jury was unable to reach a decision of life in prison or death in May.
Arias was found guilty in May of murdering her former boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in a trial that caught the attention of the nation and has led to several books and a Lifetime movie.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas