PHOENIX — The federal government should pay for immigrants to be rescued out of the Arizona desert, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in a Thursday press release.
“If the federal government, for whatever reason, cannot secure our borders, it should be their responsibility, and not Arizona taxpayers, to pay for these rescues,” he said in the release, adding that the government should also cover the cost to remove the bodies of immigrants who died while attempting to cross the border.
Four people were rescued from the desert since Saturday. A portion of a skull from an immigrant who died last year was also found.
“Maricopa County sheriff’s deputies have investigated 14 deaths since June in and around Gila Bend, an area known for human trafficking. Desert crossers are dying in unknown numbers due to the desert’s brutal conditions and excessively high temperatures,” said Arpaio in the release. “In addition to 14 dead, over 30 individuals have been rescued from the same area this summer.”
Arpaio also announced his agency would be placing wooden crosses in the desert as a reminder that crossing the desert is dangerous. The crosses will also be numbered and equipped with GPS devices so an immigrant who calls for help can be found quickly.
“Every life is precious,” said Arpaio. “It is our duty to preserve the peace and protect the public, no matter their national status or citizenry.”
Arpaio said each desert rescue or body recovery costs taxpayers thousands of dollars.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy