MESA, Ariz. — There was another shooting in Mesa in less than 24 hours. This time it happened at a smoke shop near Extension and University Drive.
Police said a man shot and killed the shop owner before robbing him of several tobacco products.
William Kotzakevitch, who was a neighbor of the victim, was clearly shaken up by the shooting.
“He was a good guy,” Kotzakevitch said. “He helped out people in the neighborhood when they needed help. If you are short on money, he would help you out with cigarettes or whatever you needed over there.”
Neighboring businesses called police after hearing a commotion inside the store earlier Friday afternoon. When police got here, they were able to detain a guy seen leaving this smoke shop, carrying a box full of cigarettes.
Police found the victim dead inside with obvious trauma to the body.
Authorities arrested the suspect at an apartment nearby but have not released any names in this case.
Yesterday, a man opened fire at a Vietnamese restaurant near Extension and Southern Avenue, killing one person and injuring another before killing himself.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon