PHOENIX — Hundreds of Arizona teachers are anxiously waiting to see if Congress and the president can hammer out a deal by midnight to stop $30 million of federal spending cuts to the state’s education system.
The White House said more than 350 Arizona teachers and aides could lose their jobs if the sequester can’t be stopped.
But no teacher should wake up Friday worried about his or her job being cut immediately. If the cuts happen, Chris Kotterman with the Arizona Department of Education, said it shouldn’t impact the current school year.
“It’s possible the U.S. Department of Education could come up with guidance to start reducing now. Based on what we know on the grant cycle we may not see reduced dispersements until July. But the majority of the cuts won’t be effective until the next school year,” Kotterman said.
If the cuts do come into play, Kotterman said Arizona’s most vulnerable students will bear the brunt of the cuts.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night