PHOENIX — Hundreds of Arizona teachers are anxiously waiting to see if Congress and the president can hammer out a deal by midnight to stop $30 million of federal spending cuts to the state’s education system.
The White House said more than 350 Arizona teachers and aides could lose their jobs if the sequester can’t be stopped.
But no teacher should wake up Friday worried about his or her job being cut immediately. If the cuts happen, Chris Kotterman with the Arizona Department of Education, said it shouldn’t impact the current school year.
“It’s possible the U.S. Department of Education could come up with guidance to start reducing now. Based on what we know on the grant cycle we may not see reduced dispersements until July. But the majority of the cuts won’t be effective until the next school year,” Kotterman said.
If the cuts do come into play, Kotterman said Arizona’s most vulnerable students will bear the brunt of the cuts.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.