PHOENIX — Hundreds of Arizona teachers are anxiously waiting to see if Congress and the president can hammer out a deal by midnight to stop $30 million of federal spending cuts to the state’s education system.
The White House said more than 350 Arizona teachers and aides could lose their jobs if the sequester can’t be stopped.
But no teacher should wake up Friday worried about his or her job being cut immediately. If the cuts happen, Chris Kotterman with the Arizona Department of Education, said it shouldn’t impact the current school year.
“It’s possible the U.S. Department of Education could come up with guidance to start reducing now. Based on what we know on the grant cycle we may not see reduced dispersements until July. But the majority of the cuts won’t be effective until the next school year,” Kotterman said.
If the cuts do come into play, Kotterman said Arizona’s most vulnerable students will bear the brunt of the cuts.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever