Dozens of valley school kids showed up at Phoenix College on Wednesday to participate in the first day of a City of Phoenix fitness initiative.
“We learned that Phoenix ranked 26th out of 50 [large cities] in the American Fitness Index [for health and community fitness status],” Phoenix City Councilman Daniel Valenzuela told those in attendance.
The Phoenix City Council knows that the city has room for improvement, but Valenzuela has a set a goal.
“We knew that there was a lot of work to do and a lot of potential,” he said. “We know that it is an achieveable goal to not only be in the top 10, but for Phoenix to be the top city in the country [on the AFI list].”
To reach his goal, Valenzuela announced the start of the FitPhx campaign.
“FitPhx is a comprehensive program that will connect hundreds of programs to people throughout the city of Phoenix who are interested in achieving a healthier lifestyle through diet and exercise,” Valenzuela said.
Olympic Gold Medalist and Phoenix resident Misty Hyman said there’s no reason that people in Phoenix can’t get more exercise.
“Here in Phoenix, we have amazing resources, and amazing facilities and we have amazing weather to top it all off,” she said. “This is a perfect place for everyone to get outside, be active and have a healthier lifestyle.”
Wednesday’s event included Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton leading the kids and a group from an area senior center in exercises. Stanton then beat Valenzuela and Hyman in a foot race on the track.
The campaign will use social media, community events and partnerships to encourage exercise. A website is in the planning stages.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food