Dozens of valley school kids showed up at Phoenix College on Wednesday to participate in the first day of a City of Phoenix fitness initiative.
“We learned that Phoenix ranked 26th out of 50 [large cities] in the American Fitness Index [for health and community fitness status],” Phoenix City Councilman Daniel Valenzuela told those in attendance.
The Phoenix City Council knows that the city has room for improvement, but Valenzuela has a set a goal.
“We knew that there was a lot of work to do and a lot of potential,” he said. “We know that it is an achieveable goal to not only be in the top 10, but for Phoenix to be the top city in the country [on the AFI list].”
To reach his goal, Valenzuela announced the start of the FitPhx campaign.
“FitPhx is a comprehensive program that will connect hundreds of programs to people throughout the city of Phoenix who are interested in achieving a healthier lifestyle through diet and exercise,” Valenzuela said.
Olympic Gold Medalist and Phoenix resident Misty Hyman said there’s no reason that people in Phoenix can’t get more exercise.
“Here in Phoenix, we have amazing resources, and amazing facilities and we have amazing weather to top it all off,” she said. “This is a perfect place for everyone to get outside, be active and have a healthier lifestyle.”
Wednesday’s event included Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton leading the kids and a group from an area senior center in exercises. Stanton then beat Valenzuela and Hyman in a foot race on the track.
The campaign will use social media, community events and partnerships to encourage exercise. A website is in the planning stages.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever