Mesa Skyline High School’s Nancie Lindblom has been named Arizona Teacher of the Year.
The award from the Arizona Educational Foundation comes with a spot as a finalist for National Teacher of Year,
$15,000 cash, a trip to Space Camp in Alabama and a visit with President Obama, among other prizes.
“If students can relate to the people of history, I can convince them that they can achieve the same great deeds. I want them to believe it is possible for them to make a difference,” Lindblom said in a statement.
Lindblom teaches advanced placement U.S. history.
“It’s such an inspirational experience to watch Ms. Lindblom in her classroom. Her energy as a teacher and the enthusiasm she generates among her students are palpable,” said Bobbie O’Boyle, executive director of AEF.
The educational organization also announced four other teachers were selected as “Ambassadors of Excellence.”
• Becky Cavazos, fourth-grade teacher at Borton Magnet School, Tucson, Tucson Unified School District
• Lindsey Connor, seventh-grade mathematics teacher at San Tan Elementary School, Gilbert, Higley Unified School District
• Katrina Herrera, sixth-through-eighth grade special-education math teacher at Sierra Middle School, Tucson, Sunnyside Unified School District
• Jose “Chach” Snook, seventh- and eighth- grade choir and drama teacher at Flowing Wells Jr. High School, Tucson, Flowing Wells Unified School District
All of the honorees will march in the Fiesta Bowl Parade. Perhaps even more impressive as far as the students are concerned, all five teachers earned ice cream parties from Blue Bell for their schools.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes