Mesa Skyline High School’s Nancie Lindblom has been named Arizona Teacher of the Year.
The award from the Arizona Educational Foundation comes with a spot as a finalist for National Teacher of Year,
$15,000 cash, a trip to Space Camp in Alabama and a visit with President Obama, among other prizes.
“If students can relate to the people of history, I can convince them that they can achieve the same great deeds. I want them to believe it is possible for them to make a difference,” Lindblom said in a statement.
Lindblom teaches advanced placement U.S. history.
“It’s such an inspirational experience to watch Ms. Lindblom in her classroom. Her energy as a teacher and the enthusiasm she generates among her students are palpable,” said Bobbie O’Boyle, executive director of AEF.
The educational organization also announced four other teachers were selected as “Ambassadors of Excellence.”
• Becky Cavazos, fourth-grade teacher at Borton Magnet School, Tucson, Tucson Unified School District
• Lindsey Connor, seventh-grade mathematics teacher at San Tan Elementary School, Gilbert, Higley Unified School District
• Katrina Herrera, sixth-through-eighth grade special-education math teacher at Sierra Middle School, Tucson, Sunnyside Unified School District
• Jose “Chach” Snook, seventh- and eighth- grade choir and drama teacher at Flowing Wells Jr. High School, Tucson, Flowing Wells Unified School District
All of the honorees will march in the Fiesta Bowl Parade. Perhaps even more impressive as far as the students are concerned, all five teachers earned ice cream parties from Blue Bell for their schools.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon