Mesa Skyline High School’s Nancie Lindblom has been named Arizona Teacher of the Year.
The award from the Arizona Educational Foundation comes with a spot as a finalist for National Teacher of Year,
$15,000 cash, a trip to Space Camp in Alabama and a visit with President Obama, among other prizes.
“If students can relate to the people of history, I can convince them that they can achieve the same great deeds. I want them to believe it is possible for them to make a difference,” Lindblom said in a statement.
Lindblom teaches advanced placement U.S. history.
“It’s such an inspirational experience to watch Ms. Lindblom in her classroom. Her energy as a teacher and the enthusiasm she generates among her students are palpable,” said Bobbie O’Boyle, executive director of AEF.
The educational organization also announced four other teachers were selected as “Ambassadors of Excellence.”
• Becky Cavazos, fourth-grade teacher at Borton Magnet School, Tucson, Tucson Unified School District
• Lindsey Connor, seventh-grade mathematics teacher at San Tan Elementary School, Gilbert, Higley Unified School District
• Katrina Herrera, sixth-through-eighth grade special-education math teacher at Sierra Middle School, Tucson, Sunnyside Unified School District
• Jose “Chach” Snook, seventh- and eighth- grade choir and drama teacher at Flowing Wells Jr. High School, Tucson, Flowing Wells Unified School District
All of the honorees will march in the Fiesta Bowl Parade. Perhaps even more impressive as far as the students are concerned, all five teachers earned ice cream parties from Blue Bell for their schools.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America