PHOENIX — The Better Business Bureau is warning car buyers that vehicle damaged by superstorm Sandy could be ending up on some unscrupulous dealers’ lots.
Thousands of cars were damaged by Sandy’s floodwaters. Most will be totaled by insurance companies and should be heading for a junkyard, but some of them could end up on car lots or Craigslist.
“Consumers need to really watch out,” said Miriam Cruz with the BBB in Phoenix. “Sometimes these damaged cars will be cleaned out and the seller won’t tell buyers the car has been damaged by flooding.”
Cruz said one way buyers can protect themselves from buying a flood-damaged car involves a few minutes of research.
“You can always request a credit history on the car with a VIN number, which should tell you if the car has been damaged by water,” she said.
A good mechanic can spot flood damage immediately as well. Cruz said she’s unaware of flood-damaged cars being resold in Arizona in the past.
The National Insurance Crime Bureau will be joining law enforcement, insurance and car rental companies with identifying and cataloging cars damaged by Sandy to help prevent the resale of damaged vehicles.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier