A Red Lake couple has been arrested in connection with multiple thefts from separate area homes, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
According to CCSO, Steven Melvin, 58, and Kathryn Melvin, 50, were asked to house sit on multiple occasions beginning in Nov. 2011. In July 2012, one couple noticed that Kathryn was wearing a piece of costume jewelery that belonged to them.
After giving a false account of how she ended up with the jewelry, Kathryn admitted she took the item and returned it.
The victims then took an inventory of their home and discovered several items were missing. They confronted the Melvins, who allegedly presented them with three large bags full of watches. The victims did not identify any of the watches as their own.
The victims said Steven returned five watches with an estimated value of $1,000 to the couple, but did not say how he and his wife came to be in their possession.
Detectives linked Steven Melvin to two pawn shop transactions, one of which involved a bracelet passed down from a grandmother to another homeowner.
Steven was arrested on two counts of trafficking in stolen property and theft. Kathryn was arrested on one count of theft, four counts of possession narcotics with intent to sell and one count of possession of marijuana.
Anyone who had asked the Melvins to house sit for them is asked to contact CCSO at (928) 226-5039.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development