A Red Lake couple has been arrested in connection with multiple thefts from separate area homes, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
According to CCSO, Steven Melvin, 58, and Kathryn Melvin, 50, were asked to house sit on multiple occasions beginning in Nov. 2011. In July 2012, one couple noticed that Kathryn was wearing a piece of costume jewelery that belonged to them.
After giving a false account of how she ended up with the jewelry, Kathryn admitted she took the item and returned it.
The victims then took an inventory of their home and discovered several items were missing. They confronted the Melvins, who allegedly presented them with three large bags full of watches. The victims did not identify any of the watches as their own.
The victims said Steven returned five watches with an estimated value of $1,000 to the couple, but did not say how he and his wife came to be in their possession.
Detectives linked Steven Melvin to two pawn shop transactions, one of which involved a bracelet passed down from a grandmother to another homeowner.
Steven was arrested on two counts of trafficking in stolen property and theft. Kathryn was arrested on one count of theft, four counts of possession narcotics with intent to sell and one count of possession of marijuana.
Anyone who had asked the Melvins to house sit for them is asked to contact CCSO at (928) 226-5039.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona