A Red Lake couple has been arrested in connection with multiple thefts from separate area homes, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
According to CCSO, Steven Melvin, 58, and Kathryn Melvin, 50, were asked to house sit on multiple occasions beginning in Nov. 2011. In July 2012, one couple noticed that Kathryn was wearing a piece of costume jewelery that belonged to them.
After giving a false account of how she ended up with the jewelry, Kathryn admitted she took the item and returned it.
The victims then took an inventory of their home and discovered several items were missing. They confronted the Melvins, who allegedly presented them with three large bags full of watches. The victims did not identify any of the watches as their own.
The victims said Steven returned five watches with an estimated value of $1,000 to the couple, but did not say how he and his wife came to be in their possession.
Detectives linked Steven Melvin to two pawn shop transactions, one of which involved a bracelet passed down from a grandmother to another homeowner.
Steven was arrested on two counts of trafficking in stolen property and theft. Kathryn was arrested on one count of theft, four counts of possession narcotics with intent to sell and one count of possession of marijuana.
Anyone who had asked the Melvins to house sit for them is asked to contact CCSO at (928) 226-5039.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns