A Red Lake couple has been arrested in connection with multiple thefts from separate area homes, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
According to CCSO, Steven Melvin, 58, and Kathryn Melvin, 50, were asked to house sit on multiple occasions beginning in Nov. 2011. In July 2012, one couple noticed that Kathryn was wearing a piece of costume jewelery that belonged to them.
After giving a false account of how she ended up with the jewelry, Kathryn admitted she took the item and returned it.
The victims then took an inventory of their home and discovered several items were missing. They confronted the Melvins, who allegedly presented them with three large bags full of watches. The victims did not identify any of the watches as their own.
The victims said Steven returned five watches with an estimated value of $1,000 to the couple, but did not say how he and his wife came to be in their possession.
Detectives linked Steven Melvin to two pawn shop transactions, one of which involved a bracelet passed down from a grandmother to another homeowner.
Steven was arrested on two counts of trafficking in stolen property and theft. Kathryn was arrested on one count of theft, four counts of possession narcotics with intent to sell and one count of possession of marijuana.
Anyone who had asked the Melvins to house sit for them is asked to contact CCSO at (928) 226-5039.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food