PHOENIX — Many larger businesses already do it to attract new customers.
They create simple video games for people to play in hopes they will have more business. The process is called “gamification” and it’s moving away from a novelty and is becoming a larger trend.
“Gamification works really well,” said Jason Smith, creative director for Moses Anshell Advertising. “It’s tapping in to a sense of competitiveness and fun, and wanting to challenge yourself a bit.”
Smith said more local businesses are starting to gamify their websites, partially because it’s easy. Most games are copies of other games seen on hundreds, if not thousands, of other websites. It’s also becoming more of a necessity in order to compete in the market.
While the process can be effective, Smith stresses that it is reaching gimmick status.
“It works best when it is part of the story of a company,” he said. “If it is part of who they are and part of the long-term narrative they are telling for their company, it can be great. If done well, it can work, but it’s usually not done well.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy