PHOENIX — Many larger businesses already do it to attract new customers.
They create simple video games for people to play in hopes they will have more business. The process is called “gamification” and it’s moving away from a novelty and is becoming a larger trend.
“Gamification works really well,” said Jason Smith, creative director for Moses Anshell Advertising. “It’s tapping in to a sense of competitiveness and fun, and wanting to challenge yourself a bit.”
Smith said more local businesses are starting to gamify their websites, partially because it’s easy. Most games are copies of other games seen on hundreds, if not thousands, of other websites. It’s also becoming more of a necessity in order to compete in the market.
While the process can be effective, Smith stresses that it is reaching gimmick status.
“It works best when it is part of the story of a company,” he said. “If it is part of who they are and part of the long-term narrative they are telling for their company, it can be great. If done well, it can work, but it’s usually not done well.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development