PHOENIX — Many larger businesses already do it to attract new customers.
They create simple video games for people to play in hopes they will have more business. The process is called “gamification” and it’s moving away from a novelty and is becoming a larger trend.
“Gamification works really well,” said Jason Smith, creative director for Moses Anshell Advertising. “It’s tapping in to a sense of competitiveness and fun, and wanting to challenge yourself a bit.”
Smith said more local businesses are starting to gamify their websites, partially because it’s easy. Most games are copies of other games seen on hundreds, if not thousands, of other websites. It’s also becoming more of a necessity in order to compete in the market.
While the process can be effective, Smith stresses that it is reaching gimmick status.
“It works best when it is part of the story of a company,” he said. “If it is part of who they are and part of the long-term narrative they are telling for their company, it can be great. If done well, it can work, but it’s usually not done well.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.