PHOENIX — The former National Deputy Chief of the Border Patrol is in Southwest Arizona speaking with border officials about a potential threat.
Ron Colburn said there is U.S. intelligence information that suggests Mideast terrorist groups are keeping tabs on the state’s porous border and finding ways to partner with Mexican drug cartels to make the trek north.
“Based on the intelligence resources and information at my disposal and my knowledge of the state of the border, we are at high risk right now,” said Ron Colburn. “The threat is real. We are not immune to an attack.”
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio echoed Colburn’s words last week.
“Anybody can cross the border,” he told Fox News’ Sean Hannity. “They look at CNN and Fox…you’re trying to tell me they don’t know all the politicians running for office saying ‘the border must be secured?’ They know it’s not secured. So why not utilize that 2,000-mile border to sneak across? That’s just common sense.”
Among the U.S. intelligence organizations, there is a significant concern that a current “outreach” between various terrorist groups and the cartels in Mexico is already underway.
“Smuggling someone over who might be carrying a biological weapon, chemical weapon or a weapon of mass destruction is a piece of cake for them,” explained Colburn. “That’s what they are there to do, as long as they make money at it.”
Arpaio added that both U.S. and overseas intelligence is vital, especially for borders that will never be fully closed.
“We will never, never secure that border 100 percent,” he said. “We have to take action overseas using intelligence and other means.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon