PHOENIX — The former National Deputy Chief of the Border Patrol is in Southwest Arizona speaking with border officials about a potential threat.
Ron Colburn said there is U.S. intelligence information that suggests Mideast terrorist groups are keeping tabs on the state’s porous border and finding ways to partner with Mexican drug cartels to make the trek north.
“Based on the intelligence resources and information at my disposal and my knowledge of the state of the border, we are at high risk right now,” said Ron Colburn. “The threat is real. We are not immune to an attack.”
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio echoed Colburn’s words last week.
“Anybody can cross the border,” he told Fox News’ Sean Hannity. “They look at CNN and Fox…you’re trying to tell me they don’t know all the politicians running for office saying ‘the border must be secured?’ They know it’s not secured. So why not utilize that 2,000-mile border to sneak across? That’s just common sense.”
Among the U.S. intelligence organizations, there is a significant concern that a current “outreach” between various terrorist groups and the cartels in Mexico is already underway.
“Smuggling someone over who might be carrying a biological weapon, chemical weapon or a weapon of mass destruction is a piece of cake for them,” explained Colburn. “That’s what they are there to do, as long as they make money at it.”
Arpaio added that both U.S. and overseas intelligence is vital, especially for borders that will never be fully closed.
“We will never, never secure that border 100 percent,” he said. “We have to take action overseas using intelligence and other means.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America