PHOENIX — Voters in Peoria, Ariz. were mailed a second incorrect ballot in as many days Wednesday.
The first ballot erroneously left off Peoria City Council candidate Ken Krieger’s name. That issue was resolved Wednesday after the Maricopa County Elections Office issued an apology and replacement ballots were mailed out.
“It was my personal error,” Karen Osborne, Maricopa County Elections director, said.
But there was a problem with the replacement mailing: Krieger’s name was once again left off the ballot.
“The print vendor printed the same ballots with the same error and mailed those to the same people who had received them before,” Osborne said.
The county spent $15,000 sending out nearly 8,500 new ballots to add Krieger.
The original error came about because of a lawsuit that been filed challenging Krieger’s petition signatures. While the suit was in court, his name was removed from the ballot and never returned, even after the issue was resolved.
Krieger said that despite all of the problems, he’s not giving up.
“I may be ballot-less, but I’m not hopeless,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Wednesday.
He said he’ll meet with his assistants and decide his next step.
“We’re going to come up with a plan, and we’re going to have a news conference tomorrow morning at 10:30 to tell people where we’re going to go from here,” he added.
Osborne said that Krieger has already made a suggestion to her.
“One of the recommendations that Dr. Krieger had made was to postpone this election and move it to the general election in November,” she said. “That certainly is one of the options that the city of Peoria can do.”
She said she’ll have to await Peoria’s decision on what to do next.
Local attorney Kory Landhofer would prefer an extension of the voting deadline or to hold a special election.
KTAR’s Bob McClay and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier