PHOENIX — Voters in Peoria, Ariz. were mailed a second incorrect ballot in as many days Wednesday.
The first ballot erroneously left off Peoria City Council candidate Ken Krieger’s name. That issue was resolved Wednesday after the Maricopa County Elections Office issued an apology and replacement ballots were mailed out.
“It was my personal error,” Karen Osborne, Maricopa County Elections director, said.
But there was a problem with the replacement mailing: Krieger’s name was once again left off the ballot.
“The print vendor printed the same ballots with the same error and mailed those to the same people who had received them before,” Osborne said.
The county spent $15,000 sending out nearly 8,500 new ballots to add Krieger.
The original error came about because of a lawsuit that been filed challenging Krieger’s petition signatures. While the suit was in court, his name was removed from the ballot and never returned, even after the issue was resolved.
Krieger said that despite all of the problems, he’s not giving up.
“I may be ballot-less, but I’m not hopeless,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Wednesday.
He said he’ll meet with his assistants and decide his next step.
“We’re going to come up with a plan, and we’re going to have a news conference tomorrow morning at 10:30 to tell people where we’re going to go from here,” he added.
Osborne said that Krieger has already made a suggestion to her.
“One of the recommendations that Dr. Krieger had made was to postpone this election and move it to the general election in November,” she said. “That certainly is one of the options that the city of Peoria can do.”
She said she’ll have to await Peoria’s decision on what to do next.
Local attorney Kory Landhofer would prefer an extension of the voting deadline or to hold a special election.
KTAR’s Bob McClay and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon