PHOENIX — Arizona has made it onto a list no one wants it to be on.
Kiplinger, a business and personal finance website, assembled a list featuring the 10 states “most at risk for disaster,” and Arizona ranked tenth.
Between 2006 and 2013, an estimated $3.5 billion in property damage occurred from both wet and dry conditions.
In 2011, the Wallow Fire burned over 500,000 acres in eastern Arizona, the largest fire on record for the state. A year prior, thunderstorms brought hail and even tornadoes to the Phoenix metro area, resulting in a whopping $2 billion in damage. In the same time span, there were 93 weather-related deaths.
Not surprisingly, the rest of the list was comprised of many coastal or “Tornado Alley” states in the Midwest. New Jersey topped the list with $26.4 billion in property damage from 2006 to 2013, with much of that due to Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon