PHOENIX — Arizona has made it onto a list no one wants it to be on.
Kiplinger, a business and personal finance website, assembled a list featuring the 10 states “most at risk for disaster,” and Arizona ranked tenth.
Between 2006 and 2013, an estimated $3.5 billion in property damage occurred from both wet and dry conditions.
In 2011, the Wallow Fire burned over 500,000 acres in eastern Arizona, the largest fire on record for the state. A year prior, thunderstorms brought hail and even tornadoes to the Phoenix metro area, resulting in a whopping $2 billion in damage. In the same time span, there were 93 weather-related deaths.
Not surprisingly, the rest of the list was comprised of many coastal or “Tornado Alley” states in the Midwest. New Jersey topped the list with $26.4 billion in property damage from 2006 to 2013, with much of that due to Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas