PHOENIX — Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has not announced who he supports for Arizona’s next attorney general, but he has made it clear who he will not be behind.
McCain announced from his Phoenix offices on Friday that he will not be supporting Arizona’s current Attorney General Tom Horne.
When asked by reporters if he would support Horne, McCain simply responded, “No.”
As to why McCain wouldn’t be supporting Horne, his answer was nearly as brief.
“I’m not endorsing the attorney general, or Tom Horne, because I don’t believe that he should be elected,” McCain said.
McCain is the latest Arizona politician to distance himself from Horne, who has been at the center of controversy in recent months.
In June, the Arizona Clean Elections Commission found complaints alleging that Horne had been using his office staff to work on his re-election campaign warranted a full investigation.
Gov. Jan Brewer announced she was not backing Horne on Thursday, but instead would back his opponent, Mark Brnovich.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain