PHOENIX — The University of Arizona announced it is slashing the tuition cost for non-resident students at the school’s law college.
Marc Miller, dean of the James E. Rogers College of Law, said the reduction is part of an attempt to lure more students from around the country to the college.
“Part of this change is to make sure that top students throughout this region and throughout the country realize that we have an extraordinary law school and university here and that a legal education can still be obtained at a decent price,” said Miller.
Miller said the change is also meant to make the school particularly attractive to California students, who make up a large portion of the law college population.
“The second largest source of students for us, after Arizona, is California, and the second largest destination for our graduates is California,” Miller said. “To compete for the top non-residents from California and elsewhere…our sticker price was, in some sense, obscuring the reality of just how affordable and excellent we were.”
The change in tuition is an attempt to not only lure more of those students to the University of Arizona but also to keep them here in Arizona after graduation.
“As a public institution here in Arizona, I see this as consistent with training, keeping and creating networks for the best lawyers,” he said.
According to the Wall Street Journal, non-resident students this fall will pay about $29,000, which is roughly a 25 percent reduction from last year’s cost of $39,841.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier