PHOENIX — Triple-digit temperatures shortened the search for a man from
Washington state who’s believed missing while hiking a Phoenix mountain.
Phoenix police said crews had to stop the search Monday for 23-year-old Eric
Fernandes because of 110-degree conditions.
Fernandes and his father were in the visiting friends. After having lunch with his father and friends Saturday, Fernandes went hiking alone.
He has not been seen or heard from since. His father reported him missing Sunday, and shortly thereafter his vehicle was found at the Echo Canyon trailhead.
Temperatures reached 108 degrees Saturday and an excessive heat warning was issued for Monday, when the high hit 110 degrees.
The search was scheduled to resume Tuesday morning.
Investigators left a poster with Fernandes’ photo and other information on the
Camelback Mountain trailheads.
Police are searching for the person who was last seen with Fernandes at a local sporting goods store about 1:30 p.m.
Unknown person last seen with missing 23-year old hiker Eric Fernandes. Any information contact Phoenix Police. pic.twitter.com/3jNJMHPcFI
— Phoenix Police (@phoenixpolice) June 2, 2014
KTAR’s Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night