PHOENIX — Triple-digit temperatures shortened the search for a man from
Washington state who’s believed missing while hiking a Phoenix mountain.
Phoenix police said crews had to stop the search Monday for 23-year-old Eric
Fernandes because of 110-degree conditions.
Fernandes and his father were in the visiting friends. After having lunch with his father and friends Saturday, Fernandes went hiking alone.
He has not been seen or heard from since. His father reported him missing Sunday, and shortly thereafter his vehicle was found at the Echo Canyon trailhead.
Temperatures reached 108 degrees Saturday and an excessive heat warning was issued for Monday, when the high hit 110 degrees.
The search was scheduled to resume Tuesday morning.
Investigators left a poster with Fernandes’ photo and other information on the
Camelback Mountain trailheads.
Police are searching for the person who was last seen with Fernandes at a local sporting goods store about 1:30 p.m.
Unknown person last seen with missing 23-year old hiker Eric Fernandes. Any information contact Phoenix Police. pic.twitter.com/3jNJMHPcFI
— Phoenix Police (@phoenixpolice) June 2, 2014
KTAR’s Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to this article.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America