PHOENIX — Triple-digit temperatures shortened the search for a man from
Washington state who’s believed missing while hiking a Phoenix mountain.
Phoenix police said crews had to stop the search Monday for 23-year-old Eric
Fernandes because of 110-degree conditions.
Fernandes and his father were in the visiting friends. After having lunch with his father and friends Saturday, Fernandes went hiking alone.
He has not been seen or heard from since. His father reported him missing Sunday, and shortly thereafter his vehicle was found at the Echo Canyon trailhead.
Temperatures reached 108 degrees Saturday and an excessive heat warning was issued for Monday, when the high hit 110 degrees.
The search was scheduled to resume Tuesday morning.
Investigators left a poster with Fernandes’ photo and other information on the
Camelback Mountain trailheads.
Police are searching for the person who was last seen with Fernandes at a local sporting goods store about 1:30 p.m.
Unknown person last seen with missing 23-year old hiker Eric Fernandes. Any information contact Phoenix Police. pic.twitter.com/3jNJMHPcFI
— Phoenix Police (@phoenixpolice) June 2, 2014
KTAR’s Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them