PHOENIX — Triple-digit temperatures shortened the search for a man from
Washington state who’s believed missing while hiking a Phoenix mountain.
Phoenix police said crews had to stop the search Monday for 23-year-old Eric
Fernandes because of 110-degree conditions.
Fernandes and his father were in the visiting friends. After having lunch with his father and friends Saturday, Fernandes went hiking alone.
He has not been seen or heard from since. His father reported him missing Sunday, and shortly thereafter his vehicle was found at the Echo Canyon trailhead.
Temperatures reached 108 degrees Saturday and an excessive heat warning was issued for Monday, when the high hit 110 degrees.
The search was scheduled to resume Tuesday morning.
Investigators left a poster with Fernandes’ photo and other information on the
Camelback Mountain trailheads.
Police are searching for the person who was last seen with Fernandes at a local sporting goods store about 1:30 p.m.
Unknown person last seen with missing 23-year old hiker Eric Fernandes. Any information contact Phoenix Police. pic.twitter.com/3jNJMHPcFI
— Phoenix Police (@phoenixpolice) June 2, 2014
KTAR’s Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to this article.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development