PHOENIX — The founder of EA Sports and creator of Madden NFL Football has started a new company to develop games specifically designed to impart social and emotional learning on kids.
“Twenty years of experience as a parent, I have two boys and two girls,” said Trip Hawkins. “For the same length of time, I’ve had a market research lab in my home working with kids and I’ve gotten to know school and parent communities. I realized there a tremendous need and great opportunity the power of computer and games into the field of education.”
Hawkins just released the first game available for iPad from If You Can, called “IF…” According to information provided by the new start-up company, “IF…” for iPad is an interactive role-playing game set in the imaginary town of Greenberry. It is designed to engage the child in a “hero’s journey,” in which they slowly unlock the mysteries of the town and bring two rival factions back into harmony.
The game, which is available for free in the iTunes Store, is meant to educate and entertain children between 7 and 11.
Hawkins goal is to teach kids how to deal with things like bullying, success and failure by learning how to manage emotions, build positive relationships and make good decisions.
“Ultimately, they’ll learn how to collaborate and feel compassion for with each and eventually we’d like to see this skill set help human beings solve big problems like global warming, poverty and pollution,” he said.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes