PHOENIX — The founder of EA Sports and creator of Madden NFL Football has started a new company to develop games specifically designed to impart social and emotional learning on kids.
“Twenty years of experience as a parent, I have two boys and two girls,” said Trip Hawkins. “For the same length of time, I’ve had a market research lab in my home working with kids and I’ve gotten to know school and parent communities. I realized there a tremendous need and great opportunity the power of computer and games into the field of education.”
Hawkins just released the first game available for iPad from If You Can, called “IF…” According to information provided by the new start-up company, “IF…” for iPad is an interactive role-playing game set in the imaginary town of Greenberry. It is designed to engage the child in a “hero’s journey,” in which they slowly unlock the mysteries of the town and bring two rival factions back into harmony.
The game, which is available for free in the iTunes Store, is meant to educate and entertain children between 7 and 11.
Hawkins goal is to teach kids how to deal with things like bullying, success and failure by learning how to manage emotions, build positive relationships and make good decisions.
“Ultimately, they’ll learn how to collaborate and feel compassion for with each and eventually we’d like to see this skill set help human beings solve big problems like global warming, poverty and pollution,” he said.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick