PHOENIX — Kids seem to be acting out more violently these days and some said the violence could be associated with mental health issues and trauma.
While these children may not act out violently or become criminals as adults, left untreated children who’ve experience trauma could turn on themselves.
“If we can get in early, while children are still children, we can be enormously helpful in shifting the path kids are on,” said Alison Steier, director of mental health services at Southwest Human Development.
The problems that can cause children to veer off-course vary greatly.
“Depression, illicit drug abuse, pulmonary disease, liver disease early childhood trauma is associated with many mental health and physical problems,” said Steier.
About 10 to 18 percent of children and adolescents struggle with mental health issues, while a much smaller percentage of those kids get help.
Often parents who suspect their child has a problem is either dismissed by family, friends or a doctor. They might not seek the help their child needs because they don’t trust their instinct.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets