PHOENIX — Kids seem to be acting out more violently these days and some said the violence could be associated with mental health issues and trauma.
While these children may not act out violently or become criminals as adults, left untreated children who’ve experience trauma could turn on themselves.
“If we can get in early, while children are still children, we can be enormously helpful in shifting the path kids are on,” said Alison Steier, director of mental health services at Southwest Human Development.
The problems that can cause children to veer off-course vary greatly.
“Depression, illicit drug abuse, pulmonary disease, liver disease early childhood trauma is associated with many mental health and physical problems,” said Steier.
About 10 to 18 percent of children and adolescents struggle with mental health issues, while a much smaller percentage of those kids get help.
Often parents who suspect their child has a problem is either dismissed by family, friends or a doctor. They might not seek the help their child needs because they don’t trust their instinct.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development