PHOENIX — Kids seem to be acting out more violently these days and some said the violence could be associated with mental health issues and trauma.
While these children may not act out violently or become criminals as adults, left untreated children who’ve experience trauma could turn on themselves.
“If we can get in early, while children are still children, we can be enormously helpful in shifting the path kids are on,” said Alison Steier, director of mental health services at Southwest Human Development.
The problems that can cause children to veer off-course vary greatly.
“Depression, illicit drug abuse, pulmonary disease, liver disease early childhood trauma is associated with many mental health and physical problems,” said Steier.
About 10 to 18 percent of children and adolescents struggle with mental health issues, while a much smaller percentage of those kids get help.
Often parents who suspect their child has a problem is either dismissed by family, friends or a doctor. They might not seek the help their child needs because they don’t trust their instinct.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns