PHOENIX — October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, and victims in Arizona have a new tool to help them end their ordeal.
The Maricopa Association of Governments, along with several local agencies, have created a website to help victims.
The website, FindDVServices, includes an online map to help victims find a shelter, a hospital and financial, social and legal services.
“An interactive web map is now available to guide victims and their supporters to victim advocates and other resources,” said Barbara Marshall, Chair of the Association’s Domestic Violence Council.
It could help former victims, like Celeste Plumlee. She finally broke off a 9-year-long abusive relationship with her boyfriend 12 years ago.
He said he loved her, but Plumlee remembers it differently.
“I was threatened, I was strangled. He punched me in the stomach during my second pregnancy,” she recalled. “He accused me, he undermined me, he raped me, and essentially, he hated me throughout the relationship.”
Despite all the abuse, Plumlee says she never called the police.
Although she has had several other relationships with men in the 12 years since she left, Plumlee thinks the abuse will affect her for the rest of her life.
“I’m thinking there’s a good chance that I will be single for the rest of my life,” Plumlee said. “I might not ever be able to in any way feel like I’m giving up any part of myself in order to be with someone else.”
Plumlee said that she’s telling her story now in the hopes it may help save other women from going through the same ordeal.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development