PHOENIX — October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, and victims in Arizona have a new tool to help them end their ordeal.
The Maricopa Association of Governments, along with several local agencies, have created a website to help victims.
The website, FindDVServices, includes an online map to help victims find a shelter, a hospital and financial, social and legal services.
“An interactive web map is now available to guide victims and their supporters to victim advocates and other resources,” said Barbara Marshall, Chair of the Association’s Domestic Violence Council.
It could help former victims, like Celeste Plumlee. She finally broke off a 9-year-long abusive relationship with her boyfriend 12 years ago.
He said he loved her, but Plumlee remembers it differently.
“I was threatened, I was strangled. He punched me in the stomach during my second pregnancy,” she recalled. “He accused me, he undermined me, he raped me, and essentially, he hated me throughout the relationship.”
Despite all the abuse, Plumlee says she never called the police.
Although she has had several other relationships with men in the 12 years since she left, Plumlee thinks the abuse will affect her for the rest of her life.
“I’m thinking there’s a good chance that I will be single for the rest of my life,” Plumlee said. “I might not ever be able to in any way feel like I’m giving up any part of myself in order to be with someone else.”
Plumlee said that she’s telling her story now in the hopes it may help save other women from going through the same ordeal.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain