PHOENIX — October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, and victims in Arizona have a new tool to help them end their ordeal.
The Maricopa Association of Governments, along with several local agencies, have created a website to help victims.
The website, FindDVServices, includes an online map to help victims find a shelter, a hospital and financial, social and legal services.
“An interactive web map is now available to guide victims and their supporters to victim advocates and other resources,” said Barbara Marshall, Chair of the Association’s Domestic Violence Council.
It could help former victims, like Celeste Plumlee. She finally broke off a 9-year-long abusive relationship with her boyfriend 12 years ago.
He said he loved her, but Plumlee remembers it differently.
“I was threatened, I was strangled. He punched me in the stomach during my second pregnancy,” she recalled. “He accused me, he undermined me, he raped me, and essentially, he hated me throughout the relationship.”
Despite all the abuse, Plumlee says she never called the police.
Although she has had several other relationships with men in the 12 years since she left, Plumlee thinks the abuse will affect her for the rest of her life.
“I’m thinking there’s a good chance that I will be single for the rest of my life,” Plumlee said. “I might not ever be able to in any way feel like I’m giving up any part of myself in order to be with someone else.”
Plumlee said that she’s telling her story now in the hopes it may help save other women from going through the same ordeal.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets