SURPRISE, Ariz. — There will be no more speed cameras in Surprise.
The city has decided not to renew its contract with RedFlex.
At first, city leaders thought that speed cameras would be a good idea in Surprise.
“It was originally presented to our community as a way to change behavior that wasn’t going to come at a net cost to the city,” Surprise Mayor Sharon Wolcott said. “It didn’t pan out that way.”
Traffic tickets generated by the cameras brought in about $150,000 to Surprise since 2010, but Wolcott said it costs the city twice that amount to run the program.
“It’s about $150,000 dollars that was the net bottom line that we had to end up paying out,” Wolcott said.
Surprise Police Chief Michael Frazier told Wolcott that not renewing the contract with RedFlex would save Surprise enough money to hire two police officers.
“I’m not saying that that’s necessarily going to happen,” Wolcott said. “But my chief of police is my chief policy advisor when it comes to public safety. When he says to me that that could pay for two motor officers, that speaks volumes to me.”
Surprise will stop using the cameras on May 3rd.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets