SURPRISE, Ariz. — There will be no more speed cameras in Surprise.
The city has decided not to renew its contract with RedFlex.
At first, city leaders thought that speed cameras would be a good idea in Surprise.
“It was originally presented to our community as a way to change behavior that wasn’t going to come at a net cost to the city,” Surprise Mayor Sharon Wolcott said. “It didn’t pan out that way.”
Traffic tickets generated by the cameras brought in about $150,000 to Surprise since 2010, but Wolcott said it costs the city twice that amount to run the program.
“It’s about $150,000 dollars that was the net bottom line that we had to end up paying out,” Wolcott said.
Surprise Police Chief Michael Frazier told Wolcott that not renewing the contract with RedFlex would save Surprise enough money to hire two police officers.
“I’m not saying that that’s necessarily going to happen,” Wolcott said. “But my chief of police is my chief policy advisor when it comes to public safety. When he says to me that that could pay for two motor officers, that speaks volumes to me.”
Surprise will stop using the cameras on May 3rd.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development