Phoenix leaders are planning to switch 90,000 street lights to LED technology which is brighter and has lower energy costs.
Street Transportation Director Wylie Bearup said LEDs offer another plus.
“The bright light tends to deter crime and pushes criminals away from a neighborhood, since those neighborhoods tend to be more brightly lit and that’s another reason we’re planning to convert.”
Currently, the energy used by Phoenix street lights cost about $10 million every year. Bearup said LEDs would cost about half that, but to realize the energy savings the city must first change the all those lights. That’s expected to cost $3.4 million every year for the next 15 years.
The city’s transportation department is looking for guidance from the city council on how to cover the conversion costs.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy