PHOENIX — A plan to lure California-based companies to the Valley is not being met in a friendly fashion by some.
California voters approved a $6 billion sales and income tax increase on high earners in November. Days later, the Greater Phoenix Economic Council made it clear they would help California companies leave the state.
Barry Broome with GPEC offered the top 100 CEOs in the Golden State a plane ride to Phoenix to see what the desert had to offer. Fifty-seven CEOss have replied and at least 11 are taking a serious look at Arizona.
“We’re not convincing people to move out of California,” he said. “Gov. Brown is convincing them to move out of California. We just want to make sure our region gets a shot.”
GPEC’s offer has certainly drawn strong reaction from California Governor Jerry Brown’s office. The Los Angeles Times reported that Brown’s spokesman, Gil Duran, said “Anybody that tries to convince you to leave the best and richest state for some parched desert outpost should be regarded with extreme suspicion.”
Broome said that, soon after Duran made that statement, California was rated the poorest state.
“Be careful with broad, sweeping statements. They may not be true,” he warned.
Broome said his strategy is risky and has drawn a lot of visceral attention to the market.
“It’s unfortunate that California is going in the wrong direction. California’s economy is important to the United States and Arizona. We think their business direction will destabilize the state.”
Broome said this situation is the most attention they’ve received from CEOs since the Super Bowl in Glendale in 2008.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them