PHOENIX — A Tucson, Ariz., bus driver made a pretty risky decision on Tuesday: They decided to ford a flooded city street.
Another driver caught the act on camera and sent it to local TV station KOLD-TV, which in turn uploaded the video to Facebook.
Though blurry, the video clearly shows the water is well over the bus’ headlights when the driver decides to ford the small stream running over a street.
The video cuts off shortly after the bus drives through the deepest part of the water. It is unknown if the vehicle sustained any damage.
A majority of Arizona was under a flash flood watch on Tuesday, as more heavy storms bore down on the state.
The National Weather Service said the flash flood watch will remain in effect
until late Tuesday and comes after an evening of severe weather than brought
Authorities say 11 people were rescued in Wickenburg late Monday following a
hard-hitting monsoon that struck a trailer park.
Running water is a danger in Arizona, especially when heavy monsoon rain triggers flooding. A few inches of running water is often enough to carry away a car.
Arizona has a “stupid motorist law” for drivers who ignore barricades or signs of flooding ahead. Should the vehicle need rescuing, the driver is responsible for the cost.
State and local officials constantly warn drivers to never enter a flooded area.
KTAR’s Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon