PHOENIX — A Tucson, Ariz., bus driver made a pretty risky decision on Tuesday: They decided to ford a flooded city street.
Another driver caught the act on camera and sent it to local TV station KOLD-TV, which in turn uploaded the video to Facebook.
Though blurry, the video clearly shows the water is well over the bus’ headlights when the driver decides to ford the small stream running over a street.
The video cuts off shortly after the bus drives through the deepest part of the water. It is unknown if the vehicle sustained any damage.
A majority of Arizona was under a flash flood watch on Tuesday, as more heavy storms bore down on the state.
The National Weather Service said the flash flood watch will remain in effect
until late Tuesday and comes after an evening of severe weather than brought
Authorities say 11 people were rescued in Wickenburg late Monday following a
hard-hitting monsoon that struck a trailer park.
Running water is a danger in Arizona, especially when heavy monsoon rain triggers flooding. A few inches of running water is often enough to carry away a car.
Arizona has a “stupid motorist law” for drivers who ignore barricades or signs of flooding ahead. Should the vehicle need rescuing, the driver is responsible for the cost.
State and local officials constantly warn drivers to never enter a flooded area.
KTAR’s Jim Cross and the Associated Press contributed to this story.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier