Constitutional scholars have a chance to test their “We the People” knowledge.
The Scottsdale Mayor’s Constitution Day Contest has begun, and it will honor the signing of the country’s top document on Sept. 17, 1797.
“The essay contest is for kids first through 12th grade that either live in Scottsdale or go to a Scottsdale school,” said Rachel Smetana of Mayor Jim Lane’s office.
Students are invited to describe what the Constitution and Bill of Rights mean to them in art, video or in words. The idea is to get kids thinking about the document, and understanding it on a deeper level, she said.
Students are broken into three categories: elementary, middle school and high school. Prizes include gift cards to Scottsdale Fashion Square, ranging from $100 to $200.
All entries are due by Sept. 3. They can be submitted at any Scottsdale library branch, at City Hall or emailed to Smetana at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information contact the mayor’s office at 480-312-7977.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development