Constitutional scholars have a chance to test their “We the People” knowledge.
The Scottsdale Mayor’s Constitution Day Contest has begun, and it will honor the signing of the country’s top document on Sept. 17, 1797.
“The essay contest is for kids first through 12th grade that either live in Scottsdale or go to a Scottsdale school,” said Rachel Smetana of Mayor Jim Lane’s office.
Students are invited to describe what the Constitution and Bill of Rights mean to them in art, video or in words. The idea is to get kids thinking about the document, and understanding it on a deeper level, she said.
Students are broken into three categories: elementary, middle school and high school. Prizes include gift cards to Scottsdale Fashion Square, ranging from $100 to $200.
All entries are due by Sept. 3. They can be submitted at any Scottsdale library branch, at City Hall or emailed to Smetana at email@example.com.
For more information contact the mayor’s office at 480-312-7977.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food