PHOENIX — Many wineries in Arizona specialize in red or white wines, but only one winery has “green” wine.
Page Springs Winery in Cornville, Ariz. will be the first winery in the state to go green after it installs several hundred solar panels this month, according to Susana Meister, the winery’s wine club and marketing director.
“We are going to be installing 375 solar panels in our parking lot,” Meister said.
Those 375 panels will cover about half of the lot and produce 85 percent of the winery’s power, according to Meister.
“It’s a huge step toward us reducing our carbon footprint,” she said. “Construction is going to begin in early August and it’s going to take about three weeks.”
Reducing the effects of carbon emissions is vital for future of industries such as wine growing, Meister said.
“Any agricultural company especially would receive more benefits and be prime to make this change,” she said.
Arizona is second only to California is the number of solar industry jobs and Meister said it makes sense to use solar power in a state with about 300 days of sunshine each year.
“Arizona’s solar capacity is nearly seven times that national average,” Meister said. “When you consider that 70 percent of all electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels and that results in one-third of all greenhouse gas emissions, why wouldn’t you go solar in Arizona?”
Beside reducing the company’s carbon footprint, Meister said they expect the panels will reduce its electricity bill as well, saving the company approximately $1,100 per month.
Meister said eventually they hope to add more panels and produce 100 percent of their power from solar energy.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night