PHOENIX — Many wineries in Arizona specialize in red or white wines, but only one winery has “green” wine.
Page Springs Winery in Cornville, Ariz. will be the first winery in the state to go green after it installs several hundred solar panels this month, according to Susana Meister, the winery’s wine club and marketing director.
“We are going to be installing 375 solar panels in our parking lot,” Meister said.
Those 375 panels will cover about half of the lot and produce 85 percent of the winery’s power, according to Meister.
“It’s a huge step toward us reducing our carbon footprint,” she said. “Construction is going to begin in early August and it’s going to take about three weeks.”
Reducing the effects of carbon emissions is vital for future of industries such as wine growing, Meister said.
“Any agricultural company especially would receive more benefits and be prime to make this change,” she said.
Arizona is second only to California is the number of solar industry jobs and Meister said it makes sense to use solar power in a state with about 300 days of sunshine each year.
“Arizona’s solar capacity is nearly seven times that national average,” Meister said. “When you consider that 70 percent of all electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels and that results in one-third of all greenhouse gas emissions, why wouldn’t you go solar in Arizona?”
Beside reducing the company’s carbon footprint, Meister said they expect the panels will reduce its electricity bill as well, saving the company approximately $1,100 per month.
Meister said eventually they hope to add more panels and produce 100 percent of their power from solar energy.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier