PHOENIX — Many wineries in Arizona specialize in red or white wines, but only one winery has “green” wine.
Page Springs Winery in Cornville, Ariz. will be the first winery in the state to go green after it installs several hundred solar panels this month, according to Susana Meister, the winery’s wine club and marketing director.
“We are going to be installing 375 solar panels in our parking lot,” Meister said.
Those 375 panels will cover about half of the lot and produce 85 percent of the winery’s power, according to Meister.
“It’s a huge step toward us reducing our carbon footprint,” she said. “Construction is going to begin in early August and it’s going to take about three weeks.”
Reducing the effects of carbon emissions is vital for future of industries such as wine growing, Meister said.
“Any agricultural company especially would receive more benefits and be prime to make this change,” she said.
Arizona is second only to California is the number of solar industry jobs and Meister said it makes sense to use solar power in a state with about 300 days of sunshine each year.
“Arizona’s solar capacity is nearly seven times that national average,” Meister said. “When you consider that 70 percent of all electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels and that results in one-third of all greenhouse gas emissions, why wouldn’t you go solar in Arizona?”
Beside reducing the company’s carbon footprint, Meister said they expect the panels will reduce its electricity bill as well, saving the company approximately $1,100 per month.
Meister said eventually they hope to add more panels and produce 100 percent of their power from solar energy.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development