A new study released by the Central Florida Commission on Homelessness reveals that doing nothing about homelessness costs Florida residents more than if the state were to house them.
“Each chronically homeless person in Central Florida costs the community roughly $31,000 a year,” reported the Orlando Sentinel.
“The price tag covers the salaries of law-enforcement officers to arrest and transport homeless individuals — largely for nonviolent offenses such as trespassing, public intoxication or sleeping in parks — as well as the cost of jail stays, emergency-room visits and hospitalization for medical and psychiatric issues,” the Sentinel's Kate Santich wrote.
Providing permanent housing and case managers to homeless persons would cost about $10,000 per person per year. Essentially, if Florida chose to support the homeless with housing, it could save $350 million in 10 years, PolicyMic reported.
“Our community will spend nearly half a billion dollars [on the chronically homeless], and at the end of the decade, these people will still be homeless. It doesn't make moral sense, and now we know it doesn't make financial sense,” said Andrae Bailey, CEO of the Florida commission, to the Sentinel.
“Even if you don't think society has a moral obligation to care for the least among us, (the study) underscores that we have a financial obligation to do so,” Think Progress reported.
In Colorado, a similar story played out when the state decided to turn a vacated prison into a homeless shelter last fall. The shelter had a $3.9 million pricetag to house 200 people, which made some taxpayers squirm. But that only cost taxpayers $16,813 per person, less than half the $43,240 it would cost to leave them on the streets, according to another article on Think Progress.
“A 2012 estimate found there are nearly 17,000 homeless persons in the Centennial State. As (Gov. John Hickenlooper) notes, though, this money doesn't even include 'any effort to recover them' and help them transition off the streets.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America