PHOENIX — Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office K9 deputies have seized approximately 145 pounds of marijuana in three different drug busts over the last week.
Last Wednesday, deputies found a large duffel bag with 48 pounds of marijuana in the trunk of a 2013 Toyota Corolla. The driver, 33-year-old Ruben Plaza, was booked at the Camp Verde Detention Center and later released on a $10,000 bond. A 31-year-old male passenger was released. The two were headed to Texas with the intent to transport and sell the drug, the YCSO said.
The day before, deputies found a duffel bag with nearly 22 pounds of marijuana in the backseat of a Volkswagen Passat. The driver, California resident Adrian Jemison, 40, was arrested for possession and transportation of marijuana for sale. Jemison said he was paid to transport the pot to Alabama. The YCSO said he remains in custody on a $15,000 bond.
Also last Tuesday, deputies stopped a 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche with New Mexico plates on east Interstate 40 near Ash Fork, Ariz. Jessica Sandoval, 28, and Christyna Romero, 26, were both arrested after deputies found three duffel bags containing several packages of marijuana — weighing 75 pounds in total — in the covered truck bed. Deputies said the two had driven extensively to California and Phoenix prior to their arrest. They were booked for transporation and possession of marijuana for sale, as well as possession of drug paraphernalia. Both women have since been released on a $25,000 bond, the YCSO said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.