PHOENIX — Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office K9 deputies have seized approximately 145 pounds of marijuana in three different drug busts over the last week.
Last Wednesday, deputies found a large duffel bag with 48 pounds of marijuana in the trunk of a 2013 Toyota Corolla. The driver, 33-year-old Ruben Plaza, was booked at the Camp Verde Detention Center and later released on a $10,000 bond. A 31-year-old male passenger was released. The two were headed to Texas with the intent to transport and sell the drug, the YCSO said.
The day before, deputies found a duffel bag with nearly 22 pounds of marijuana in the backseat of a Volkswagen Passat. The driver, California resident Adrian Jemison, 40, was arrested for possession and transportation of marijuana for sale. Jemison said he was paid to transport the pot to Alabama. The YCSO said he remains in custody on a $15,000 bond.
Also last Tuesday, deputies stopped a 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche with New Mexico plates on east Interstate 40 near Ash Fork, Ariz. Jessica Sandoval, 28, and Christyna Romero, 26, were both arrested after deputies found three duffel bags containing several packages of marijuana — weighing 75 pounds in total — in the covered truck bed. Deputies said the two had driven extensively to California and Phoenix prior to their arrest. They were booked for transporation and possession of marijuana for sale, as well as possession of drug paraphernalia. Both women have since been released on a $25,000 bond, the YCSO said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon