PHOENIX — A wet fall and warm winter and spring has Arizona saguaros blooming about two weeks ahead of usual at Saguaro National Park west of Tucson and other locations around the city.
“The saguaro has the bouquet of white blossoms,” said Andy Fisher with the National Park Service. “Each blossom is about the size of a closed fist on the end of a branch or perched on the top of the cactus. We call it the head because they look so much like people.”
Fisher said the best time to see the blooms open is at night.
“It will last a few hours into the day if it’s cool, but if it’s warm or too hot, the blossom will close up and it’s a one-night show,” he said. “Once the saguaro blossom opens it will stay open through the evening and gets pollenated at night. As soon as the sun rises, the blossom will shrink back, never to open again.”
The saguaro blossom show is expected to get even better over the next few weeks.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development