PHOENIX — Before you ignore that jury summons, you should know Maricopa County Superior Court is cracking down on those who bail on jury duty.
The new get-tough policy aims to improve the appearance rate of jurors who ignore their jury summonses after receiving three calls for jury duty. Maricopa County Superior Court is holding court at least four times a year where repeat violators will have to tell a judge, face to face, why they ignored the law.
“It could be very expensive if we don’t have a consistent rate of return on our jurors,” said Judge Janet Barton.
Maricopa County Superior Court said about 44 percent of people with jury duty assignments actually show up. The failure to appear without justification translates into thousands of dollars in losses for the court and could cause trials to be delayed.
“We summons over 800,000 jurors per year,” said Maricopa County Superior Court Jury Director Candace Atkinsons. “The cost for that is between $5 and $25 per summons.”
The next jury court date is scheduled for July 19. During the hearing, potential jurors who willfully disobeyed the orders of the court cound face hundreds of dollars in fines and be ordered to appear for jury duty on a specific date.
“We need jurors, they are one of the three legs of the stool, so to speak, in the justice system between the judge, the lawyers nad the justice system,” said Barton.
The Maricopa County Superior Court put together a video explaining the importance of abiding jury summons. You can watch it below.
Video courtesy of Maricopa County Superior Court.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick