PHOENIX — It was over Memorial Day weekend two years ago that the Wallow Fire was ignited by a pair of careless campers.
It became the largest wildfire in state history, burning more than 500,000 acres. The fire threatened several communities and forced the evacuation of thousands of people.
Two years later, and eastern Arizona is expecting huge holiday weekend crowds.
Becky Christiansen heads up the Springerville/Eagar Chamber of Commerce and has watched a rebirth of tourism in towns like Alpine, Eagar and Greer, among other communities.
“The fishing and hunting is very much alive,” she said. “The weather is cool and we have a lot of events going on this weekend.”
Christiansen didn’t downplay the significance of the Wallow Fire but points out that it burned in patches and only 10 percent of the area was severely burned.
“They’re places where you can’t see any burned areas. This forest is millions of acres and it is still beautiful.”
Christiansen expects packed hotels and restaurants all weekend long as people look to escape the Valley heat in the high country.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas