PHOENIX — It was over Memorial Day weekend two years ago that the Wallow Fire was ignited by a pair of careless campers.
It became the largest wildfire in state history, burning more than 500,000 acres. The fire threatened several communities and forced the evacuation of thousands of people.
Two years later, and eastern Arizona is expecting huge holiday weekend crowds.
Becky Christiansen heads up the Springerville/Eagar Chamber of Commerce and has watched a rebirth of tourism in towns like Alpine, Eagar and Greer, among other communities.
“The fishing and hunting is very much alive,” she said. “The weather is cool and we have a lot of events going on this weekend.”
Christiansen didn’t downplay the significance of the Wallow Fire but points out that it burned in patches and only 10 percent of the area was severely burned.
“They’re places where you can’t see any burned areas. This forest is millions of acres and it is still beautiful.”
Christiansen expects packed hotels and restaurants all weekend long as people look to escape the Valley heat in the high country.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy